Jumpthegap, the international design contest, presents its 6th edition during the Beijing Design Week
On the 28th September, the sixth edition of the international design competition jumpthegap was presented during a ceremony held at the Barcelona Pavilion, which is located in the Chinese city of Beijing in the framework of the prestigious Beijing Design Week 2014, the largest design event in Asia. www.jumpthegap.net This international design contest promoted by Roca with the collaboration of BCD Barcelona Design Centre provides an international platform for young professionals and design or architecture students all over the world to show their ideas and talent. For this reason, participants will create and suggest innovative solutions for the bathroom space and the products related to it. Since the very beginning, jumpthegap has relied on a jury of prestigious architects and designers. In this new edition, the president of the jury is the recognized Chinese architect Ma Yansong, winner of different awards such as the 2014 Young Global Leaders (YGL). During the presentation of the contest, Ma Yansong wanted to encourage young talent: "Be yourself, try your best and be yourself. Many realize that this a difficult task, but jumpthegap is a contest that provides the perfect platform for you”.
- Marcelo Rosenbaum (Brazil), Designer and Director of the design and innovation office Rosenbaum;
- Tom Dyckhoff (United Kingdom), Journalist and Architecture Critic;
- Guta Moura (Portugal), Co-founder of Experimenta and Director of EXD Biennale;
- Josep Congost (Spain), Roca Design Centre Manager;
- Rafael de La-Hoz, Arquitecto (Spain), Patron of the Contemporary Architecture Foundation;
- Isabel Roig (Spain), Managing Director of BCD (Barcelona Centro de Diseño) and President of BEDA (Bureau of European Design Associations).
- First, with the aim of promoting the excellence and talent amongst the younger ones, jumpthegap will incorporate two categories: one aimed at students and another one targeted at professionals. Two winning projects will receive a prize of €4,000 each, one in the professional category and one in the student category.
- The other novelty is a commitment towards sustainability, which is one of the most important principles to take into account when innovating in the bathroom space. Therefore, this year jumpthegap will include a special sustainability award which will be given by the Roca We are Water Foundation, whose objective is to create a new culture of water that allows for fair development and sustainable management of the world's water resources.