Lagranja design pays tribute to Catalan folklore and Barcelona’s traditions at the Nandu Jubany’s new restaurant in Singapore
Capgrossos (typical burlesque giant papier-mâché masks which are carried in annual local festivals) or porrones (wine jugs) used as lamps are an example of changing the way typical Catalan culture elements are used to give those who come in at Nandu Jubany’s new restaurant in Singapore a wink. Lagranja Design pays tribute to Catalan folklore and Barcelona’s traditions at FOC without giving way to turn the restaurant into a theme park. The space is simple: a darker front room with a large bar and an open kitchen, and then a glass ceiling patio for the objects in there to become more prominent —a search for balance in Barcelona’s popular culture reinterpretation. Rafael Marquina’s iconic cruet and the emblematic pepper mills; a series of graffiti such as the Burro’s (the donkey is a Catalan symbol), La Sagrada Familia’s, Messi’s, and Spanish typical tiles. Dominoes covered the bar, a very popular game at Spanish’s bars… (we discovered it is famous worldwide recently), late 60s’ Impala symbolic motorbike… A play to turn popular things into a new approach that will wow you!
- Bar. The top is made of black iron sheet metal and it stands out because of its real dominoes front coating.
- Shelf. It is made of black iron with matt varnish finish.
- Bevelled mirrors representing Barcelona’s grid pattern of the Eixample.
- Oak wooden dining room benches with upholstery cushions.
- Black iron structure tables with natural wood planks on top of them.
- Sculptures of capgrossos placed in the perimeter shelf have been made by Sarandaca Studio
- ‘BASIC’ oak wooden stools (designed and produced by lagranja design).
- ‘Smile’ barstools by Andreu World.
- ‘Belloch’ chair by Santa & Cole.
- ‘Thonet’ chair dyed black and arms in its natural colour.
- ‘Pimentero’ hanging lamp dyed red —pepper mill lamp (Designed and produced by lagranja design).
- ‘Aceitera Marquina’ glass lamp —cruet glass lamp (Designed and produced by lagranja design).
- ‘Porrón’ glass lamp (Designed and produced by lagranja design).
- ‘Capgrossos’ lamps (Designed by lagranja design and produced by Jordi Yaya).